Welcome to Gateway
Gateway is a small organisation constituted in March 2010. Its main purpose is to improve the footpath network in and around Whitby. Many footpaths already exist but they tend to be similar to spokes of a wheel and many do not join up.
The plan is to improve the situation and make all paths as accessible as possible to all users.
The main focus at present is the old Scarborough - Whitby railway track, now known as the Cinder Track.
Achievements to Date:
- Six sets of new steps have been installed between the southern edge of town and the northern end of the old railway viaduct south of Whitby. Groundwork manages a team of 6 young men who have installed these steps and improved the drainage and footpath. The new steps allow access to four schools without having to cross busy roads.
- Information boards and signage has been installed between Whitby, Robin Hood's Bay and Ravenscar (see photo gallery for slide show).
- Litter picks, tree planting and seed sowing have taken placed helped by many volunteers.
- Leaflets have been produced. These are available at Whitby and Scarborough rail stations, Whitby and Scarborough tourist information centres, libraries and other local information centres.
- The Ruswarp Round Walk and Nature Trail (incorporating the Riverside Walk/and part of the Cinder Track): Click here Page 1 directions Page 2 map
- The Old Railway Cinder Track leaflet (produced by Groundwork and Scarborough BC) Page 1 directions Page 2